3.21.2005

SWAT

OK, I watched SWAT over the weekend when there wasn't basketball on, and for the most part, I enjoyed it on the level that I was supposed to enjoy it on... that of your typical mindless summer action movie.

I had a major problem though with the major plot point:

As the villian is being transported to jail, he shouts to a camera that he will pay $100 million to anyone who springs him free. Now, first of all, I do understand that since this guy is such a major international criminal that news cameras would be following him around, trying to get a statement, but would they be doing it live? CNN rarely shows live footage of a prisoner just being transported to a car, but anyways, that's not the major issue.

What I think is off is that the television news stations continually report his offer, as if trying to make sure that all the ne'er-do-wells hear it. It's like filming that Zacarias guy as he goes into court and he turns to a camera and says "I'll pay $100 million to the first person that blows up this courtroom!" So I can't get around the thought that why would you actually want to ADVERTISE this, unless it somehow gets better ratings?

Which brings me to my last part of the problem. Now, granted, I'm no gangster hood with my gat loaded ready to stir up trouble, but I have this strange feeling that, unlike the scenes from the movies, that these thugs and hooligans sit around in their hideouts watching the news just looking for crimes to commit. I think its more likely they're on the streets dealing heroin or pimpin hoes, but not sitting around watching the local 6 o'clock news. Apparently, these LA gangs were though.

Anyhoo, I did enjoy the movie for the most part, and as Ebert accurately points out, everything shown on the action side of things is at least feasible, albeit exaggerated. I think the characters also act much more like real people than most action movie characters, but I just don't think the news editors in the film did.

9 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger steven said...

I'm personally looking forward to this summer's blockbuster, "War of the Worlds."

The Cruise/Speilberg team had done an awesome job with "Minority Report," so I'm really excited about what they'll do with this.

I hate special effects movies for the sake of special effects, ala Roland Emmerich. "Minority Report" had some of the best SFX I've ever seen, and you don't even notice it because you're so rapped up in the plot, characters, and philosophy of the premise.

SFX should support a plot...not be the plot.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Brad said...

I am intrigued by CGI, and I think it has interesting possibilties. I was a fan of the "Final Fantasy" series, and I think we aren't far away from being able to really replicate humans in detail on computers. I don't hope, however, that it becomes the norm.

As far as WotW, I'm also intrigued by that. I have seen previews and either they've deliberately tried to leave out CGI/SFX, or it isn't going to be prevalent. And that's very nice too. Make the actors do the acting. I'm anxious to see the full finished product.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger steven said...

You really should check out the teaser trailers, though. Lots of special effects in them, including watching a bridged highway fly into a suburban neighborhood. Woah man.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Failoz said...

Thanks to CGI we can watch Lebron James hit 90 ft 3-pointers on the TV.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Brad said...

Yeah, SWAT is at least quasi-realistic. And that LeBron commercial is badass. I turn the mute off when its on.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Failoz said...

Lebron will get shut down tonight by some DEEEEETRRRROIIIT Basketball

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Brad said...

man, you got a surround sound system? Damn, not fair! I think me and Failor are the only ones who don't have access to that kinda stuff.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger steven said...

Don't have access? What's that supposed to mean?

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Brad said...

that we don't have a beautiful theater system either at home or at school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home