4.04.2005

Sin City...



It appears that Sin City is the next target of the massive group-think Christian-fundamentalist movement to discredit and destroy all art that isn't The Passion of the Christ.

I say this with no exaggeration. The Passion of the Christ was more violent than Sin City, but in many respects, they are similar.

Sin City was a film that showed corruption on every level. The streets. The police. The politicians. Yes, even the clergymen. The place was crawling with hate, deception, murder, revenge, lust...pretty much any sin you can think of. At the center of the tale, however, lies a hero who selflessly sacrifices his life to save another...twice.

Enter Drudge Report, who reported this quote: " # 1 MOVIE IN USA WEEKEND POPE DIES 'SIN CITY' FEATURES A CARDINAL AS CANNIBAL, IN LEAGUE WITH A SERIAL KILLER WHO READS THE BIBLE, A CROSS IN JUST ABOUT EVERY SCENE... MOVIE FEATURES BRUCE WILLIS RIPPING A MAN'S PENIS OFF..."

This will no doubt spark plenty of controversy about the values of America, the state of our society, and comment on our seemingly lack of moral grounding. I can almost hear the buzz of talk radio, crucifying the film as they had done with Million Dollar Baby, (a truly fantastic film that deserved 0% of the criticism it received.)

Yet, I believe Sin City has the same thesis as The Passion of the Christ, in its portrayal of sin, and the glimmer of hope with a selfless sacrifice to set things right. Fundamentalists won't see it this way, as they will no doubt refuse to see the film, and this is their right. But it is irresponsible for them to judge the film, undoubtedly by the prescribed Drudge Report quote, a quote which bears no context and seeks to discredit the film entirely.

Sin City is merely a reflection of what we read in the papers every day, and the immediate reaction to the film is a perfect example of how our lines of communications are so tainted by special interests. We simply cannot sit down, talk, and listen to each other, without deceptively self-promoting our ego-centric causes. Yes, this is how it all begins.

17 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I've gotta jet right now to make it to Holy Rosary Cathedral in time for the Mass of the Dead for John Paul II, but I just thought I'd add that lo and behold, Glenn Beck also complained a bit about "Sin City" today.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger steven said...

Well, Chris, thanks for letting us know where you're going, what you're doing, and why you're doing it.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Chris said...

No problem!

Yeah, I thought it was kind of weird I shared all that after I posted, but oh well...the Mass was really good, in case anyone was wondering.

And I also just remembered something else...Glenn also came out against "Million Dollar Baby"...and never saw it.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger JZ said...

Glen Beck is a blithering moron. I don't think he looks into anything he talks about as I've caught him out right lying about several topics.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Chris said...

He definitely doesn't always get his facts straight. It's a good thing he's only "talk radio" and not the "news" like CBS or the New York Times (or the Toledo Blade), otherwise I'd be really frustrated with him.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger JZ said...

mac there's a difference between being wrong 1/10,000 times and being wrong all the time. given any one moment, that man is saying something wrong.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger JZ said...

and why not, I'll add to your list. lets include faux news and the drudge report.

both cary a heavy neocon bias.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger JZ said...

at least we aren't killing people, and destroying the environment. I don't even know how you can live with yourselves.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I love it when you use that line Justin, because it makes you feel so good about yourself and your cause.

Of course, when I use this line, you just get really ticked off at me:

"At least I'm not condoning the killing of 1 million plus innocents each year."

What can I say...life is my number one priority, particularly the protection of innocent lives. It just makes sense to me, just like it did to Thomas Jefferson who wrote the Declaration.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger JZ said...

mac, your carcinogens are going to kill 50 times that million figure you keep gibbering about... but cancer doesn't matter, and human quality doesn't matter.

these fetuses matter. you're just short sighted. so eat it.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Chris said...

No, I'm not short sighted. Quality of life is important. But you have to HAVE life or ALLOW life to all before you can even begin fairly discussing attaining a healthier life for all.

The way I see it, you're dealing with scabs, whereas I'm dealing with a deathwound. We need to consider the scabs, but first we need to take care of the deathwound!

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger steven said...

Ironically, this blog has become a perfect example of the kind of indecency that I was talking about.

Read them closely, and take notes, because you'll see exactly what you'll become when you forfeit your life to dogma.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Steve, I need enlightened. Can you please elaborate?

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger steven said...

Well, I'll give you a hint. I'm not talking about your posts...

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger JZ said...

thanks.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Chris said...

It'd still be nice if you elaborated Steve.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Failoz said...

My biggest beef about million dollar baby was the fact there were Palm Trees in the background.


Anyone who's ever been to St. Louis knows that is not true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home