6.08.2005

Big Fish

OK, I realize I was a little behind in getting around to see this movie and I have to say that I approached it with some hesitation, and I'm not sure why. I finally got around to seeing it last night, and I'm very glad that I ended up seeing it.

To say that the film is visually stunning is an understatement. Ebert summed it up well that it is a grown-up's daydream, with all sorts of fantastical settings and surreal characters, and by the end, you wonder, did they ever exist? Was old Edward Bloom just spinning tales for his son or did they really happen? Only the final story scene and the real-life final scene will answer that question, and I won't spoil it if anyone hasn't seen it.

Overall, it was a very good story. It actually felt like what you would visualize in your head while the town elder related stories of his past. Burton does an excellent job of making the film what your mind's eye would make it if you were just hearing the stories, and I think that can be difficult to do. His use of colors and clever tricks (Edward walking through a circus scene that has been frozen in time) almost make these unbelievable stories believable.

If you haven't seen this one, its definitely a good exercise in dreaming and a feel-good-yet-sad story towards the end.

2 Comments:

At 2:16 AM, Blogger steven said...

you know, for as much stuff that happened in this movie, it still seemed like nothing much happened at all. i liked it, didn't love it, wouldn't watch it again.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Brad said...

although I agree with you that I probably wouldn't watch it again, its only because you don't need to see it more than once. Like I said, I thought the visuals were stunning and it was clearly very imaginitive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home