6.17.2005

Batman Begins



Rarely does a film come along that lingers long after the lights come up. This is the Batman film to end all Batman films. I'd go as far to say, this is the comic book movie to end all comic book movies.

Funny thing is, as gothic and dark as Tim Burton films are known to be, Christopher Nolan's (Memento, Insomnia) version makes Burton's films seem like child's play. This film is as nightmarish and gothic as it is thoughtful and complex. It continues the trend of allowing talented independent directors such as Sam Raimi (Spiderman) and Ang Lee (Hulk) to take the reigns of multiplex blockbusters.

Without saying much else, if you're in the mood for a light, fun, two-dimensional action/adventure film, you should probably check out Michael Bay's The Island, or The Dukes of Hazard. This isn't the film for you. But movie buffs will rejoice to find a blockbuster that lives and breathes in its subject, instead of exploiting it.

Most certainly one of the best films I've seen this year, or any.

5 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger steven said...

Christian Bale did a decent job in the Machinist as well.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Brad said...

Fred, my business card is better than yours!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Brad said...

oh, but it is. I have the eggshell.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Brad said...

dare you even ask sir?? But of course I have the slightly raised lettering!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Brad said...

I FINALLY saw this movie, and I also thought it was VERY well done. Michelle and I both thoroughly enjoyed it, and my comment about it was that it had a sense of realism to it. Granted, its a super-hero story, but by taking the time to explore Bruce Wayne you start to see how Batman would be possible...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home